Vegetarian Treasury (Part – 20): Aloo Tamatar Ka Jhol
Marinated pieces of potatoes and paneer fried. Simmered in a masala rich tomato gravy.
Ingredients Of Aloo Tamatar Ka Jhol
- 2 potatoes, parboiled
- 250 gm paneer
- 1+1 tsp turmeric
- Salt, to taste
- 1+1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1-2 tsp Oil
- Oil to flash fry (Flash fry is a process in which the potatoes/paneer are immersed in hot oil and fried for 3-4 minutes or till colored on the outside.)
- For the gravy:
- 1 black cardamom
- 3 green
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 3 cloves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp ginger, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- Hing, a pinch
- 2-3 tomatoes, chopped
- 2-3 Tbsp milk
- 1 Tbsp butter
- Garnish with chopped mint leaves
How to Make Aloo Tamatar Ka Jhol
- In a bowl marinate the par boiled potatoes with turmeric, salt, chilli powder and some oil. Flash fry them. Keep aside.
- In another bowl marinate the paneer cubes with turmeric, salt, chilli powder and some oil. Flash fry them. Keep aside.
For the gravy:
- In a pan add oil, black cardamom, green cardamom, cinnamon, cloves and cumin seeds. Saute.
- Add chopped onions and saute till they start to turn golden. Add ginger, garlic and green chillies.
- Then add turmeric, cumin powder, coriander powder, hing and tomatoes. Once the tomatoes start to wilt add water to speed up the cooking process. Cook on simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Add milk and butter. Cook for another 3-4 minutes and add the fried potatoes and paneer. Simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Serve garnished with chopped mint leaves.