LAC : India and China disengage in Gogra, all temporary structures dismantled
Indian and Chinese sides ceased forward deployments in Gogra in phased, coordinated and verified manner
India and China on Friday carried out troop disengagement at Gogra, the patrolling point 17A, one of the friction points between the two countries in the eastern Ladakh region.
“The troops of both sides are now in their respective permanent bases,” Indian Army said in a statement.
During the 12th round of talks, there was an agreement between both sides to disengage from PP-17A also known as Gogra. The troops in this area have been in a face-off situation since May last year.
As per the statement, “both sides have ceased forward deployments in this area in a phased, coordinated and verified manner. The disengagement process was carried out over two days.”
All temporary structures and other allied infrastructure created in the area by both sides have been dismantled.
“This agreement ensures that the LAC in this area will be strictly observed and respected by both sides, and that there is no unilateral change in status quo. With this one more sensitive area of face-off has been resolved,” Army said.
“The Indian Army along with ITBP is totally committed to ensure the sovereignty of the nation and maintain peace and tranquility along the LAC in the Western Sector,” it said.
The eastern Ladakh is referred to as Western Sector by the government.
Earlier, on June 25, India and China had also virtually conducted the 22nd meeting of the diplomatic Working Mechanism for Consultation and Coordination on India-China Border Affairs (WMCC).
During the military dialogue, India had raised the need to complete the stalled disengagement at Gogra and Hot Springs, while also calling for the “restoration of unhindered patrolling rights” in the strategically-located Depsang Bulge
region, with the bottom-line being restoration of the status quo as it existed in April 2020.