The seriousness of governance ::: Grinding of the Great Wheel Called the Govt of India, Ministry of Defence, – At a Glance
The disbursal of arrears to the widows / parents of martyrs and gallantry award winners had to be completed by 30 Apr 2023, as per the directions of Hon’ble Supreme Court. Our bureaucracy woke up from slumber and our Department of Ex Servicemen Welfare, Min of Def (ESW) issued the letter on 28 Apr 2023 to the Service Chiefs to disburse arrears on the time lines laid down by Hon’ble Supreme Court.
I am aware that some of you pass very un-chartable remarks on the civilian officers and their subordinates working in Min of Def (ESW). You have to understand that in Govt of India things cannot be taken for granted. you got to follow the laid down rituals / procedures in the most religious manner to carry out any task. Any minor deviation to the procedures invites severe disciplinary action from the God of Bureaucracy.
Let me discuss how the letter has been issued to the three service chiefs to disburse the arrears in the succeeding paragraphs.
1. The Attorney General or Solicitor General who received the directions of Hon’ble Supreme Court on disbursal of arrears of OROP- II will send it to Min of Def (ESW).
2. Min of Def (ESW) sends it to Min of Def for arranging funds for disbursal of arrears.
3. Min of Def asks its Financial Advisor to demand funds from Min of Fin (Revenue).
4. Min of Fin (Revenue) will take their own time to arrange funds and place it at the disposal of Min of Def who in turn informs Min of Def (ESW).
5. The draft letter will be made by Desk officer. Desk officer sends the file to Under Secretary. Under Secretary sends it to Deputy Secretary duly approving recommendation of Desk Officer. Deputy Secretary sends the file approving the recommendation of Under Secretary it to Joint Secretary. Joint Secretary approves the recommendation of Deputy Secretary to Secretary (ESW). Secretary Min of Def (ESW) takes it to Hon’ble Raksha Mantri who is busy in electioneering in Karnataka. Once he comes back to Delhi the Hon’ble Minister on file writes “issue letter on disbursal of OROP arrears”. The file goes down from Secretary (ESW) to Joint Secy (ESW) to Dy Secy to Under Secretary to Desk officer.
Now the draft letter is made by Desk Officer. He sends it to Under Secretary. Under Secretary sends it to Deputy Secretary. Deputy Secretary sends the file to Joint Secretary. Joint Secretary send it to Secretary. Secretary says “Approved”.
The file comes back from Secretary to Joint Secretary. Joint Secretary says “See the directions of Secretary on Disbursal of Arrears on the draft letter. Take immediate action”. The Deputy Secretary writes “ See the instruction of Joint Secretary. Take immediate action” and sends it to Under Secretary. Under Secretary writes on file “ See the directions of Deputy Secretary. Take immediate Action”. Finally the Desk Officers instructs all the three Service Chiefs to implement.
Service Chiefs says “ We do not disburse arrears to Ex-Servicemen” and sends the file back to Desk Officer.
Desk officer seeks permission of Secretary to issue letter to banks. The Secretary finally gives his approval “ Send the letter to the banks”. The file comes back with instructions of the Secretary through the chain to the Desk officer.
Desk officer sends the file to the CPPCs of banks. The CPPC osf Banks reply to Desk officer that “ We need instructions from PCDA (Pensions) Prayagraj.”
The desk officer seeks permission of Secretary, Min of Def (ESW) to send the letter to PCDA (Pensions). The file is approved by Secretary, Min of Def (ESW) with instructions “ Send the letter to PCDA (Pensions) Prayagraj”. The Desk officer issues letter to PCDA (Pensions) Prayagaj.
PCDA (Pensions) Prayagraj tells the Desk officer “ We need instructions from CGDA”.
The Desk officer sends the file right upto the Secretary, Min of Def (ESW) who says “ Approved. Send the file to CGDA.”. The desk officer issues the letter to CGDA.
CGDA tells the Desk officer “ We need instructions from Financial Advisor of Defence Services”. The desk officers moves file to Secretary Min of Def (ESW) seeking his permission to send the file to FADS.
The file comes back from Secretary “ Send the file to FADS”.
The Desk officer sends the file to FADS.
FADS issues the letter to CGDA. CGDA issues the letter to PCDA (Pensions) Prayagraj.
You all think govt employees do not work. See how much effort has been put in by everyone to issue a simple letter to disburse arrears of OROP- II.
Finally the letter is issued to the banks who have to disburse the pensions. At times orders are given on telephone to cut down time.
So do not blame banks if they have not disbursed your arrears. Govt of India loves the rules and regulations laid down by British though British have changed their method of government functioning long decades back.