Move of Agniveers to PMF Assam Rifles and to Central Armed Police...

Move of Agniveers to PMF Assam Rifles and to Central Armed Police Forces must be fine tuned


Move of Agniveers to PMF Assam Rifles and to Central Armed Police Forces must be fine tuned

After a lot of procrastination, the Ministry of Home Affairs has finally declared 10 per cent reservation for ex-Agniveers in vacancies within all the CAPFs as well as for the Paramilitary Force the Assam Rifles. It has also relaxed upper age-limit norms depending on whether they are part of the first batch or subsequent batches.

Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) made the announcement through a notification issued on Thursday in exercise of the powers conferred by clauses (b) and (c) of sub- section (2) of section 141 of the Border Security Force Act, 1968 (47 of 1968). A similar notification has also been issued for the ITBP, CRPF and CISF.

Using the powers, the Central Government declared to make the rules further to amend the respective recruitment rules of all the CAPFs.

Amending the Recruitment Rules, 2015 with effect from March 9, the Central government announced that against the part relating to the post of Constable, notes shall be inserted relaxing the upper age limit for ex-Agniveers by up to five years for candidates belonging to the maiden batch of ex-Agniveers and up to three years in case of all other batches of ex-Agniveers.

Another note that was made part of the (Non-Gazetted) (Amendment) Recruitment Rules, 2023. It provides for exemption of ex-Agniveers from taking the physical proficiency test.

Upper age limit was also relaxed for first batch of ex-Agniveers by up to five years and for the subsequent batches for three years. In addition, the ex-Agniveers would be exempted the physical proficiency test.

The specified age limit for recruitment to Central Armed Police Forces (CAPFs) is 18-23 years. So any person who is enrolled as Agniveer at 17-22 years, can be recruited into CAPFs till attaining 26 years of age.

However, for ones who join the armed forces as part of the first batch of Agniveers at 23 years, the maximum age for enrolment under Agnipath, the enhance five-year upper age limit relaxation will still leave them a year after completion of the four year-stint, to seek recruitment into the CAPFs and Assam Rifles.

As per an official release of MHA, the first batch of Agniveers can avail of 10 per cent job quota in CAPFs and Assam Rifles till the age of 28 years.

The MHA instead of waiting for all the, criticism of the Agniveer scheme that provides for absorption of only 25 per cent of the Agniveers in the defence forces upon completion of their four-year stint even as the remaining 75 per cent are demobilised, should have announced soon after that 100 per cent of the demobilized Agniveers will be recruited into both the Central para-military Assam Rifles, Cost Guard and all the Central Police Forces except for those with more than two red ink entries in their Confidential Reports.

By now the Home Ministry should have worked out the complete modalities for seamless integration leading to move of Agniveers to their new PMF/CAPFs units on a Military Movement Order. Such a methodology will remove all the senseless expenditure and colossal effort on duplication of RE RECRUITMENT PROCEDURE.

Absorption of Agniveers into PMF/CAPFs must be such that it incentivises the choice of youths for a short career in the armed forces, by offering them a long-term, follow-up career in the Central para-military forces and Central Armed Police Forces.

It also benefits the CAPFs and Assam Rifles in equal measure by helping them fill up the more than 73,000 vacancies they currently have between them. The move will benefit the CAPFs in getting trained personnel at the pre-recruitment stage itself, saving them the usual time and training costs before the new recruits can take up field duties.

Once the above gets fully stabilized then the same procedure should get extended to the State Armed Constabularies, State Police Forces and finally one by one to other ministries of the Central Govt,